Friday, February 13, 2009

A Saab Summer



Elie Saab is one of those designers that brings hope to the future of fashion. While many of us fashionistas know that the time will come when older fashion legends, like Valentino, will retire, there are people like Saab who can carry on the mantle. I absolutely love his Spring/Summer '09 collection because it actually looks like a Spring/Summer collection. While other designers have been doing nothing but black, and white, and basic tailoring, Saab has taken a totally different direction. I love his uses of blues, purples, yellows, and pinks. One thing I loved the most is that Saab has toned down his clothes from when he first became a designer. In his first collections, his dresses had everything from bows, to crystals, to lace, to the kitchen sink. He's now toned back a lot of the flamboyance, but kept the feminine whimsical charm of his clothes. I love the flapper/ballet style trimming of his cocktail dresses. I love the fact that he emphasized the accessories more, with the bags and shoes that were to die for. I absolutely loved the fact that he produced flowy dresses that did not like a caftan. The standout piece for me has to be these 2 bubble dresses he made that had a flowing train in the back. All in all, I must say that he produced a tremendous colllection.
To see the full show, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment